Friday, November 14, 2008

Worms!!

I was going to put a picture of our worm farm on here but of course the camera batteries are flat. Doesn't anybody know how to change them in this house?? After all, they are rechargeables, grrrr.

Dear friends who moved to Tasmania, gave us their worm farm which is basically made out of a big plastic drum turned on its side and a square hole cut out of it. A lid was made out of another piece of plastic. We drilled holes in the sides as we didn't feel the worms were getting enough air. We filled it with compost and shredded paper and have a 1000 worms in there purchased from Bunnings (they are not cheap!!). Each week I go out and give them a bucketful of scraps which I keep on the kitchen bench and fill up during the week. If I have too many scraps, they get wrapped in newspaper and put on the compost heap. I learnt to actually dig a hole in the worm farm to put the scraps in and cover it up otherwise it attracts all the little flies. We have not had a problem with the flies since I have been doing that. We then covered the lot with newspaper and wet it all down. Now we just have to sit tight and wait for all those lovely castings....

I will post a picture when the camera batteries recharge.

I have been picking beans as they mature and just placing them straight into the freezer, not even blanching. Tonight we discovered we didn't have any greens for tea so I went out and picked the ones that were ready and with the ones I already had in the freezer we managed to have our serve of greens. They were very nice indeed.




No comments: