Monday, November 10, 2008

Beans - note to self.

I planted about 10 climbing bean plants but am finding that I am not getting nearly enough for us. For example I picked about 6 beans that are ready today - there are a dozen more not quite big enough yet. So what do I do with 6 beans,whilst waiting for the other dozen? It is such a nuisance when you can only pick them in dribs and drabs.


Note to self, next year, PLANT MORE BEANS!!

According to "Growing and Using Vegetables and Herbs" by John Mason, I will probably need at least 40 plants to feed my family!? I think I may try bush beans as I have limited vertical space to grow the vine type ones, hence why I have so few.

So, what to do with 6 beans? Blanch and freeze? Not very economical. I found this info:
Freeze blanched beans 10 to 12 months at 0ºF. Unblanched beans will hold up for 6 months at 0ºF. I might put them in the freezer unblanched for now and just keep collecting.

Oh, never mind..........................the kids just ate them raw!

No comments: