Sunday, February 1, 2009

Worms are on the move!

I bought a Can O Worms bin today costing me a hefty $74.  The one we had set up down the side of the shed (which was free I might add) was working very well but the problem was accessing it. The bushes down there kept growing over it too fast so getting to it was a job in itself. Despite that, it was still getting too much sun and with the hot weather we have been having I was concerned what it would be doing to the worm population.  I couldn't move it to the patio area as it would be in a very visible spot and it was not a pretty thing by any means!


So I finally bought one and now it sits right out the back door.  It is located outside a window that is kept slightly open and the evap cooler blows out this window so hopefully will help keep the worm's home cool and  I don't have to fight a jungle every time I want to feed the worms.  The liquid should also be much easier to access as well.

It took two of us a good couple of hours to sit and sort through the dirt to get all the worms out and into their new home.  I was covered in dirt from head to toe and was surrounded by lots of wriggly worms - who would have believed I would ever be doing this!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, well done on getting a new worm farm. The Can o Worms has served me well, however the handle on the tap broke within a few months. I leave it open now, and leave an icecream container underneath to capture the worm wee. That way the little buggers don't drown if you forget to empty the reservoir.

Gav

Karen said...

Yes Gavin, unfortunately I found out AFTER I bought it that this is a common problem with the C.O.W. I will remember your little trick for when ours eventually fails!
Cheers, Karen.