Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Next Challenge!

Okay I'm really hoping that bicarb soda is okay for you - not only am I using it as shampoo and to clean my whole house with we have been using it in our homemade toothpaste!

I cannot remember where I got the recipe from but we just use a mixture of bicarb soda and salt - six teaspoons bicarb to 2 teaspoons of salt.  It takes a little getting used to but in all honesty I think my teeth and mouth feel cleaner after using this mix.  In fact, I normally have a slightly yellow tinge to my teeth (yuck, but it's genetic I'm afraid) and I think my teeth actually look whiter after using this!

I was looking for a container at the shop the other day to keep my bicarb soda in seeing as I'm buying bigger boxes these days LOL!  It was about $6.95 to buy a glass jar from Coles that would have been a suitable size.  I decided to drop into the op-shop instead and I'm very glad I did.  I found a lovely white Maxwell Williams brand one for $3.99!  (container on right)


Although I bought it for bicarb I ended up putting my bicarb in the salt container which is kept in the cupboard and the salt in the new one as this is kept out on display.

The salt pig (I think that's what they were called!?) on the right was also from the op shop and only cost $2.99 - it is also a Maxwell Williams brand.  This is what I keep our homemade toothpaste in on the bathroom bench.  We just wet our toothbrushes and dip lightly into the mixture.

There are lots of different toothpaste recipes out there with oils, etc in them but I find this to be perfectly acceptable once you get used to it which really did not take long at all.  Happy brushing!

3 comments:

greenfumb said...

Lets hope bicarb doesn't turn out to be dodgy like everything else. I use it to whiten my teeth when I have been drinking too much tea (or red wine!) its fantastic.

Well done on the no poo, I might try that when my organic stuff runs out, it costs a fortune.

Anonymous said...

We've been using tooth powder for about a year or more now. Would NEVER go back to toothpaste in a tube!! Disgusting!!!

Been keeping it in a baby food jar but I like your idea much better.. Will look for one!!!

Karen said...

Greenfumb - I thought the whitening might have been my wishful thinking so it's good to know I'm not imagining it!

Amy - It's great to hear from others who have been doing it successfully for longer. I really cannot imagine why I would go back to tube paste now - another thing crossed of my shopping list! Yay!