Tuesday, January 27, 2009

More shade structures

My dearest husband kindly put some more shade structures up over my recently made vegie beds. I just need to purchase the shadecloth, sew up some seams and slip them onto the pipe. They really are quite quick and easy to make.
These are the three beds I would like to alternate the chicken's home in, perhaps alternating every 3 months or so (with some time in between those months on the lawn area if need be). The grass keeps growing up into the beds (blessed cooch grass) so I'm hoping the chickens will make short work of that! Everything is looking very sick and bare due to the horribly hot weather - the shade structures should have been put up long ago. Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done, I should follow suite, though I am not a sewer. I have lost quite a few of my neweer plants like lettuce, strawberries, silverbeet etc as with the heat for so many days in a row, which is unusual here in tas mine have wilted.

Karen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Michelle. You don't have to necessarily sew - we actually stapled our first one together using a special little gun that bends a little piece of wire into a circleh. You could hand sew some twine through to keep it on perhaps? Or even drill holes in the support and tie them on? It's horrible to watch your carefully tended plants die! All the best.

Secret Hippie said...

Karen that's awesome! You and hubby are doing such a good job.
:0)

Karen said...

Thanks Secret Hippie!

Melissa Antolovic said...

your garden beds look great - they are exactly what I want my vegige garden to look like!