Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year

I cannot believe how fast 2008 passed by and that we are now in 2009!

New Year Resolutions - do you make them? What are they? One of mine is like everybody else's - more exercise! I spent some time away after Christmas on a beach and went for some lovely walks and even broke out into a jog every now and then and I must admit I felt a lot better for it. Now walking down a suburban street isn't quite as nice as on a beach but nevertheless, if I take my MP3 it shouldn't be that bad and if it is too hot I don't have the excuse not to walk as I have a treadmill!

Another area I want to work on is our finances - in particular, sticking to a budget. Why oh why do we find this sooooo hard?? I have worked out a budget which unfortunately doesn't leave us anything for 'sanity' money, that is pocket money, for ourselves. I can't see where we can cut our budget to allow for this at the moment though either. I think we will just have to see if we can live on the budget we have set first and then try and determine where we may be able to cut back.

My DD's are in private schools which takes a rather large chunk of our money each year but we feel it is well worth it as they are lovely schools so education is a very big expense for us at the moment.

I try and not buy any meat costing more than $10 per kilo. We try and have a meatless meal each week (though this will normally include a little bacon) such as a quiche. I no longer buy much in the way of cleaning stuff and sanitary products. I only use half strength detergent in the dishwasher and washing machine and always wash in cold water. I grow my own vegies (well, I'm trying too!!) and have a couple of fruit trees, all of which by the way is struggling in this terribly hot weather we are having. I always menu plan around the specials and I stockpile the specials too.

DH has just started to brew his own beer which is a big, big saving and well worth the effort. He thinks it tastes just as good, if not better, than bought beer. After all, as I understand it, it's the same as what you can buy except doesn't have the preservatives - win, win situation all round I reckon!

And now this is all down in writing it will act as a reminder throughout out the year of my resolutions.......unless of course I choose not to read it!!

No comments: