Sunday, January 25, 2009

To chicken or not to chicken....

That is indeed the question. I am considering purchasing a couple of chickens - the main reason being my DD9 is really keen to get a silky bantam as a pet (her friend has one) and I thought I could get another chicken that was a good layer for a companion and to get some eggs. Plus I could end up with some lovely free fertiliser.

It feels like a big step though. I mean, what do we do with them when we want to go away? We can't take them with us so then you have to start asking people to come and mind them for you and it all gets quite difficult.

Then I was worried about the smell, the flies, lice and worms and diseases (I've been reading - can you tell?) I have been speaking to other chicken owners on the Simple Savings site and they have calmed my fears about these issues a little.

Oh, to chicken or not to chicken......it's my little quandry at the moment.

3 comments:

greenfumb said...

I live on a normal suburban block in Sydney and we have two chooks - it's brilliant. Very little noise or smell and no sign of pests so far, just two lovely brown eggs most mornings. In Sydney there is a co called Rentachook where you can try before you buy, Im sure there will be similar co's in other states. Go on - you'll love it x

Karen said...

Thankyou so much greenfumb for sharing - I'm wondering what type of chickens you have? I'm going to come and visit your blog to see! I did in fact ring rentachook but believe it or not they have nothing like that over here....typical.

Karen said...

Just realised greenfumb I DO visit your blog all the time (didn't realise that blog belonged to you!)LOL LOL