Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Soil Problems :(

I am very disappointed with the soil in my new vegetable beds. Nothing is thriving and it is very water repellant. So I have some work ahead of me to try and fix it now.....humph!

The plants are not thriving and are very yellow so it seems to be very deficient in something.














This is my sweetcorn - they are actually a lot yellower than they look in this photo :(

And the lettuces are not doing much better...


(Again, they look a lot yellower in real life!)
I planted the chives on the left the same time as the ones on the right which were planted in a different bed. You can certainly see the difference.















Whereas my SFG bed is doing very well and everything grows so much better in it. I have heaps of tomatoes and will probably need to find some recipes to use them up in! Though I have heard that they can be frozen by just directly placing them in the freezer. Of course they are not suitable for salads as such, but great for spaghetti bolognaise, etc type dishes (a staple in our household!) so I will definitely be trying that.

I am very pleased with the beans - we have several nights worth of meals in the freezer now. I have also planted bush beans to compare them to the vine type.

I have little baby capsicums everywhere - they are so cute!! So I can hardly wait for them to mature. The cucmbers are doing well though I have noticed powdery mildew growing on them - possibly due to rain we have had lately? I know last year I sprayed them with a milk and water mixture though I have forgotten the ratio so will have to look that up too.


Growing vegies is certainly proving to be a huge learning experience for me! Off to do some research again....

5 comments:

Teena said...

Oh yeah!!! You got soil problems there girl... Have you had a chat to Gavy? (Greening of Gavin) (sorry so use to calling him Gavy!)about it and bounced a few ideas off him? He will be able to give you the easiest and Eco-friendly advice on how to fix it without losing the small crop that is still hanging in there! Could be something so simple that you didnt even think of.

Heres Hoping with everything crossed for you.
xoxoxox

Karen said...

Two great minds think alike CH - nearly wrote in my post "Help Gavin!!" I'm sure he would be able to help me....might have to go and pay him a visit :)

Unknown said...

Hi Karen. Thanks for the email. I hope this advice works for you. Firstly to rewet the soil, add about 3-4 drops of dishwashing liquid to a 9 litre watering can and water the soil well. This helps the soil to absorb the water and breaks the resistance. I have used this method many times. If you can use an eco brand of detergent even better still.

The corn looks like they are lacking nutrients just by looking at the yellow colour. Get some Powerfeed, and add 4 cap fulls per 9 litres and water in well after you do the detergent trick. They will love you for it. Do this early in the morning and not in the heat of the day or you will burn everything. I killed a weeping cherry tree once just by spraying it with Seasol in the midday sun!

If all else fails and they don't recover within about 2 weeks, then you will need to get a soil testing kit. If too alkaline then add sulphur, if too acidic then add some dolomite lime.

I hope that helps you out. Good luck.

Gav

Karen said...

Thank you so very much Gavin for your wonderful advice - you are a champion!! I'll get on to it straight away. :)

Teena said...

Told you he is an environmental hero is my Gavy!
xoxox